7.04.2014

Gratitude

I'm sure many of you have read, or heard of the book One Thousand Gifts, by Ann Voskamp. For those of you who haven't, it is basically about a woman's search and journey towards practicing Eucharisteo (the act of giving thanks to God in everything) by creating a list of all the small, daily gifts he gives us, recognizing his hand in everything, and how we can and should live this out in each one of our lives. I read the book several years ago, and just before coming on this trip participated in the corresponding Bible Study. While I was here, I decided to start my own list of all the beautiful things He has given me each day I've been here, in order to recognize his hand in everything, but also to help grab each moment I've been given. When you start to look at all the things He gives, you start to notice more and more His hand in everything, and it allows you to more fully take in every moment. As I was flipping through this list the other day, I noticed several gifts that appeared more than once, things I gave thanks for on multiple days over the last few weeks. I'm not going to share every gift I wrote down with you, but these that appeared more than once may give you a glimpse into the day to day life of working with SI in Magda, and the things that were important to me during this time. I've also included a brief explanation as to why I was thankful for these things. Enjoy. And be grateful because you are blessed. (Stepping off my soap box now.)

-warm showers because sometimes the water goes out/ the heating unit ceases to function, and so you're all the more grateful for piping hot showers when you have them
-fried plantains my favorite of the chapin (Guatemalan) dishes we eat regularly in the host homes, and any day with fried plantains is a good one
-agua pura safe water to drink so I don’t get sick (as often...)
-rainless days it’s rainy season... Days filled with sunshine make my heart happy.
-coffee the number of times I gave thanks for coffee over the last few weeks is somewhat alarming…or not. I, obviously, just embrace this addiction. 
-encouraging testimonies learning from, being challenged by, and being encouraged by the full time staff's testimonies and devos.
-rides to and from the Community Center because the hills in Magda are ridiculous, and so not having to walk is wonderful.
-safety I take for granted a community back home where I don’t have to think about this at all
-host sisters who talk, laugh, and play with their gringa friends
-translating experience using the skills God has given me
-working wifi because sometimes it goes out for three weeks…
-frijolitos our old-school phones the summer staff were given to use during the internship that allowed us to communicate easily
-rain boots again, rainy season. Dry feet are such a blessing.
-life talks if you know me at all, you know why this appeared multiple times in my gift list.
-Wisco love sharing in the homeland love with a dear roommate.
-saldo the minutes (for calling/texting) added to our frijolitos each week or so.
-balance in ministry between occupational and relational ministry mostly, amongst other things as well.
-pan dulce another favorite chapin food that makes my heart and belly happy.
-allowing for vulnerability being open and vulnerable with one another is beautiful.
-site understanding/task understanding being able to assist in ministry easily (after a time).
-clean laundry because otherwise your towels never dry…
-intern hugs because they know how real the struggle is, and so they can daily encourage.
-braided hair so you don’t have to wash it every day...
-hand sanitizer because sometimes there isn’t soap, and water can have parasites.
-kind host moms who feed you, take care of you when you’re sick, and love on you as part of their family.
-World Cup excitement because it’s everywhere, it joins people together, and you love soccer.
-FaceTime to stay in contact with the homeland.
-Argentina wins they’re the best. No need to say more ;)
-filling journal pages to help process and sort out life.
-healthy pollos healthy chickens mean better incomes for dear souls, as well as open doors for sharing Christ.
-seeing favorite littles smiles and hugs from precious little friends who remember you after much time apart.
-escaping rainy afternoons rainy season. Can you tell this was an issue for us?
-being part of a bigger picture because it’s hard to leave after a few weeks, but God stays and His work goes on, and this is encouraging.

Magda.


No comments:

Post a Comment